Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tool #10: Power in Your Pocket

I, for one, am not quite certain how I lived without my iPhone. It's a world of information that is completely portable, and so easy to use. My 3-year-old son uses it with ease.

I reviewed several free apps, and I plan on actually getting Google Earth, the Constitution, and the Declaration of Independence for my personal use. I also really loved the NASA 3-D Sun app, which would be great as students learn the properties of the sun. I loved the Level app. Though it may not be entirely accurate, it would be a great tool for having kids check estimates of length they make while working throughout the school building. Sudoku would be a fun extension/problem solving workstation, and Paper Toss would be a good one for exploring the physics if motion. Although they both just seem to be a game, with a strong reflection piece they could be valuable pieces of student learning with accountability.

Because iTouches are basically a pocket web browser, they can be used for anything you would use the web for without having kids tied to classroom computers. They really just open up more of the world for kids to interact with.

1 comment:

  1. I have loved having iTouches in the library because as you point out, they have many educational applications and the kids just love them. I agree Paper Toss is not just loads of fun - it counts for figuring trajectory, wind dynamics, planning, observation, estimating, ... and did I mention it was fun??

    Millie

    ReplyDelete